GOLD LEAFING (GILDING) AND ESTOFADO INSTRUCTIONAL ARTIST RESIDENCY
Alejandro Linares Garcia
The city of Puebla is situated at an important intermediate point and a core part of the Atlantic axle, and has a history that spans almost five centuries becoming the capital of baroque art in the Americas. Its strategic location on a major transportation corridor permitted the exportation of Puebla’s regional style of Baroque art and architecture, influencing the development of other cities in the New World. Gold gilding and estofado are two of the expressions of the fusion of European and American styles present in many of the world heritage monuments of Puebla.
The Gold Leafing (Gilding) and Estofado Instructional Artist Residency is a production residency that includes 3 weeks of instruction (27 hours total; 9 hours per week) by a prominent master art restorer in several diverse techniques using mediums and supports traditionally used in pre-Columbian and baroque art. Instruction is in Spanish or English. For this residency, artists produce work in our partnered studio at one of Mexico's most important art museums, in Puebla's majestic central historic district. Artists can apply the technique of gold and silver leafing; learn the use of diverse stuccos and traditional primers (cactus and lime, rabbit glue, gelatin) and their use on different supports (paper, wood, clay); and experiment with different finishes with natural pigment patinas and egg tempera paint.
- 27 hours master instruction (9 hours per week)
- Each resident meets weekly with our staff for individualized research assistance/resources, project guidance, and critiques
- Furnished, private bedroom
- Meals and 24-hour access to the kitchen and dining room
- Wireless Internet
- Use of Arquetopia's residency spaces including 4th-floor lounge and outdoor terraces
- Shared bathrooms with modern fixtures and showers
- 24-hour access to large and bright, shared art studio with generous natural light
- Personal workspace with large table and wall space
- Materials and supplies for the instructional course are provided
- Materials and supplies for additional project production are not included but are available for purchase locally
- Access to special facilities (such as our partnered museums and studios) provided