PRINTMAKING SPECIAL ARTIST RESIDENCY (SELF-DIRECTED)
Now Welcoming Applications for Spring and Summer Sessions 2017
This residency offers offers competitive professional opportunities for emerging and mid-career, national and international artists and designers age 23 and over.
José Guadalupe Posada (1852-1913): “Detalle del Espantoso y ejemplar suceso
de un joven que por desobediente, se lo llevó el Demonio á los infiernos.” Flyer made in lead plate. José Guadalupe Posada Museum
The Mexican printmaking tradition has a complicated relation with the development of modern and contemporary art in Mexico. The work of José Guadalupe Posada and Taller de Gráfica Popular set the foundation of such a complex tradition, by rendering contentious realities mixed with current events, and political messages. This strong political legacy has not only influenced other forms of art but also set the tone to the tense and contradictory relationship between art and social activism in Mexico. Nevertheless, printmaking, as a creative space, remains as the base of artistic political activity. Given the accessibility and collaborative nature of the techniques, the print shop in Mexico is a dynamic grass-root space where the discussion of social issues is very relevant. From relief printing, to intaglio, screen-printing, and lithography, the abundant artistic output is ideal for cultural and artistic exchanges.
The Printmaking Special Artist Residency is a self-directed production residency that offers the unique opportunity to produce work on-site at Arquetopia or at the studio of a prominent printmaking museum in the central historic district of Puebla. The techniques offered are intaglio, linoleum, woodcut, polyester plate, silkscreen and the unique opportunity of working with a specific lithography stone from Mexico. Maximum dimensions of the lithography printing press are 27 X 19 inches and of the etching press are 60 X 35 inches. This residency is for experienced printmakers only. No instruction is included.
Preview of Arquetopia's new, on-site Printmaking facility opening January 23, 2017
RESIDENCY DURATION / TIME PERIOD
Terms of 4 to 12 weeks. Dates are not predetermined but are nominated by the applicant.
WHAT THIS RESIDENCY INCLUDES
- Each resident meets weekly with our staff for individualized research assistance/resources, project guidance, and critiques
Accommodation and Meals:
- Furnished, private bedroom
- Meals and 24-hour access to the kitchen and dining room
- Wireless Internet
- Use of Arquetopia's residency spaces including 4th-floor lounge and outdoor terraces
- Shared bathrooms with modern fixtures and showers
- 24-hour access to large and bright, shared art studio with generous natural light
- Personal workspace with large table and wall space
- NEW as of January 2017: Our on-site printmaking studio
- Most printmaking materials and supplies provided
- Some printmaking materials are not included (paper, plates, certain inks); artists bring these or purchase them locally.
- Access to special facilities (such as our partnered printmaking studios) provided
RESIDENCY FEE AND APPLICATION DEADLINES