WRITERS RESIDENCY (SELF-DIRECTED)
Short-Term Writers Residency (Two-Week Sessions, Summer or Fall 2016)
Session #1: August 8 to August 22
Session #2: August 22 to September 5
Session #3: September 12 to September 26
Session #4: September 26 to October 10
*Special terms apply
The Writers Residency offers competitive professional opportunities for emerging or mid-career, national and international writers, journalists, playwrights, translators, and graduate students age 25 and over.
As part of Arquetopia’s mission, we promote international experiences in the field of culture by promoting Mexico’s rich and diverse artistic heritage. We are aware that understanding Mexico’s cultural context and complexity is key for a successful cultural exchange; therefore we offer a flexible program that provides the necessary social and cultural research and aesthetic resources to connect the writer’s project with the context of Puebla and Oaxaca. All proposals are welcome.
As our approach is contemporary, we welcome writers from diverse genres: poetry, prose, drama, screen and playwriting, children’s literature, journalism including magazine articles and editorials; as well as translators and editors who are interested in creating work while experiencing specific cultural expressions from Mexico and/or unique to Puebla or Oaxaca.
Each residency is unique, based on the residency research needs and the writer’s proposal. Residents are chosen on the basis of artistic merit and evaluation of the proposed project.
• Selection decisions are based on quality of writer's work and proposed project. Applicants at all stages of their careers (emerging and established) must demonstrate a clear sense of potential.
• Our pool of applicants and residents is diverse in all aspects.
• Our Writers Residency program is a competitive opportunity for writers to pursue their own work, free of pressure (especially work that in their particular circumstances would normally be difficult to produce).
• Selection priority is given to projects that explore a responsible connection between the applicant’s practice and the cultural context of Mexico, of Puebla, or of Oaxaca. The connection can be as broad as a social topic or as specific as a local theme.
• The creation of community with fellow residents and staff during the residency period is important.
Terms of 3 to 8 weeks. Dates are not predetermined but are nominated by the applicant.
Short-Term sessions: 2 weeks (see specific dates above).
WHAT THIS RESIDENCY INCLUDES
- Each resident meets weekly with our staff for individualized research assistance/resources, project guidance, and critiques
Accommodation, Meals, and Local Transportation:
- Furnished, private bedroom
- Meals and 24-hour access to the kitchen and dining room
- Wireless Internet
- Private bathrooms with modern fixtures and showers
- Though cheap, everyday public transportation is also available from the residency vicinity into the city, Arquetopia provides scheduled transportation into downtown Oaxaca twice per week by van
- Individual live/work space with natural light provided with table or desk
RESIDENCY FEE AND APPLICATION DEADLINES